But wait there is more… This 167-slide presentation contains over 1.000 facts & figures about social media in more than 30 countries. Wow! Topics cover main adoption & usage, brand interactions, role of employees in using social media and much more.
Social media around the world 2011
- Awareness of Facebook is close to 100%
- More than 1 billion people (>70% of internet population) use social networks.
- People use more than Facebook. In Europe, people join on average 1,9 social networks. In USA it’s 2,1; Brazil 3,1 and India 3,9.
- Average Facebook session lasts 37 minutes, Twitter 23 minutes. More than 400 million people use Facebook daily.
- There is a big Twitter paradox:80% is aware of Twitter, only 16% is using it.
- Vkontakte is big in Eastern Europe: 55% awareness, 39% penetration.
- Difficult for new social networks to succeed. 60% does not want any new social networks. 93% is happy with what they have and won’t in- or decrease. Big social networks will get bigger and small ones will get smaller.
- People connect online with their offline friends. People love to connect to people.
- >50% of social network users are connected to brands.
- Offline brand experiences are the main online conversation starters.
- People become a fan on Facebook because they like the product, not because of advertising.
- 36% posted content about a brand on social networks.
- Consumers want to be in the boardroom. 44% is asking to take part in co-creation of products & advertising.
- Positive experiences are bigger conversation starters than negative experiences. People like positive stuff.
- Consumers prefer e-mail over social networks to ask questions to brands.
- 2 out of 3 employees is proud about their employer, but only 19% shares stories on social media: unused conversation potential!
- 38% of internet users has a smart phone. They are more intensive users of social networks than people without a smartphone.
- On average, people install 25 apps on their smartphone, but only use 12. Most used apps are social network apps.
- 12% of smartphone owners is using location based services. 4% of smartphone users are familiar with augmented reality.
20%of location-basedusers checks in daily
About this study: 9027 consumers (age 15+) across 35 countries, representative for the online population within country on gender, age and e-commerce. Data collected on online research panels, field in Q2 2011.